Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mundubbera - Gayndah

After Cania Gorge, it was a long drive to Brisbane. We decided to call it a day so we camped at Munduberra. It is a town in the Wide Bay-Burnett region of Queensland, Australia. The town is located on the Burnett Highway, 405 kilometres north west of Brisbane and 200 kilometres west of the regional centre, Bundaberg. Mundubbera is built on the bank on the Burnett River. The town is the self-proclaimed "Citrus Capital of Queensland", although this is disputed by the neighbouring (and rival) town of Gayndah. Miles and miles of citrus plantations are everywhere along the highway. Just imagine how they will harvest all the fruits during peak season. (I'd like to do fruit picking sometime.)


We camped at Tolderodden Conservation Park. It has toilet and
picnic area. No power and water but the site is nice and tidy.


The next day we dropped by Gayndah. It is about 46 kms from Mundubbera and is the centre of Queensland's largest citrus-growing area. The Gayndah Orange Festival is held every two years to celebrate this industry. Gayndah is the oldest official town in Queensland.


We also had a quick look at the town's museum. Below are some photos of the exhibit.

Gayndah Historical Museum

different tools on display
  

a 1940's ambulance


We took this long route to Brisbane so the editor can drop me to Crows Nest to attend a friend's wedding on the weekend. Unfortunately, she was not at home when we reached the town so we drove straight to Brighton, Brisbane. We went through Toowoomba which meant that we had to go down the Toowoomba Range. Getting down the range was a slow and steady trip due to the fact that the range is very, very steep.

Luckily for me I have heaps of friends I can count on so I asked one of them to pick me up in Brighton on their way to Crows Nest. I couldn't miss a friend's wedding. The weekend ended well and I had a lot of fun with friends who I will miss dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment